Chances are you’ve run across the “Hitler Downfall meme,” in which the dictator’s pivotal soliloquy/rant from the 2004 drama Downfall is overlaid with fake subtitles to make it look like he’s pissed about everything from the iPad to Obama to—in a typically meta twist—the fact that someone is messing with his subtitles. …
(But) they’ve become subject to a wave of takedowns now that Downfall’s production company Constantin Films filed a copyright claim. It’s an interesting case study on fair use in the YouTube age—though it’s a unique situation, since any such counter-claim would have to be made by the individual users who created those parodies in the first place. In the meantime, they’ve mostly responded by, well, making more “Hitler rant” parodies in which he rants about the fact that he can’t make any more “Hitler rant” parodies.
Many of these parodies were brilliant if you can get past the idea of laughing at Hitler jokes.
1. There is a Santa Claus, but he’ll only visit you if you’re good.
2. This is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you.
3. Mommy and Daddy are taking a nap.
4. If you tell me the truth, you won’t get in trouble.
5. Eating your vegetables will make you grow up big and strong.
6. If you play with your privates too much, they’ll drop off/you’ll go blind.
7. If you keep making that face, your face will stay that way.
8. Mommy and/or Daddy never took illegal drugs/drank underage/had premarital sex.
9. SpongeBob’s not on this week/the TV is broken/our cable is out.
10. The stork brought you to us.