Thanks, Mike (from Spain)
Most of our generation, 50+ were HOME SCHOOLED in many ways.
1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.
“If you’re going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning.”
2. My mother taught me RELIGION.
“You better pray that will come out of the carpet.”
3. My father taught me about TIME TRAVEL
“If you don’t straighten up, I’m going to knock You into the middle of next week!”
4. My father taught me LOGIC.
“Because I said so, that’s why.”
5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC.
“If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you’re not going to the store with me.”
6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
“Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you’re in an accident.”
7. My father taught me IRONY.
“Keep crying,and I’ll give you something to really cry about.”
8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS .
“Shut your mouth and eat your supper.”
9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
“Just you look at that dirt on the back of your neck?”
10. My mother taught me about STAMINA..
“You’ll sit there until all that spinach is gone.”
11. My mother taught me about WEATHER…
“This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it.”
12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
“If I told you once, I’ve told you a million times. Don’t exaggerate!”
13. My father taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
“I brought you into this world, and I can take you out…”
14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION.
“Stop acting like your father!”
15. My mother taught me about ENVY.
“There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don’t have wonderful parents like you do.”
16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.”
Just wait until we get home.”
17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.
“You are going to get it from your father when you get home!”
18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
“If you don’t stop crossing your eyes, they are going to get stuck that way.”
19. My mother taught me ESP.
“Put your sweater on; don’t you think I know when you are cold?”
20. My father taught me HUMOR.
“When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don’t come running to me.”
21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT.
“If you don’t eat your vegetables, you’ll never grow up.”
22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
“You’re just like your father…”
23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
“Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?”
24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
“When you get to be my age, you’ll understand.
25. My father taught me about JUSTICE .
“One day you’ll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you!”
Today would have been my mom’s 98th birthday.
I think this photo was taken in the early 1950s, so she would have been about 30 years old. She died in 1995 at the age of 74.
It was 23 years ago today that we held my mom’s funeral visitation. She had died the Friday before, May 11, 1995. She was buried the next day. The time just flies by faster and faster.
Happy Mother’s Day to all you mothers out there, foster moms, surrogate moms, all single parents that serve as mothers and those who’ve been called a mother. That pretty much covers it.
Today is National Siblings Day. Siblings Day is a holiday recognized annually in some parts of the United States on April 10, honoring the relationships of siblings.
From left to right, Me (age 12), our Chihuahua (or so we were told when he was a pup) Pooch (age unknown), and my brother Paul (age 15)