9 thoughts on “Cookies and Juice (Almost Free)”

1. I was a regular donor for years until about 2010. This was the first time that I can remember someone from Red Cross actually reviewing my meds. I flunked big time due to several drugs that could cause problems for a donee. I wonder if anything ever happened to someone who received any of my “drugged” blood?

2. One of the times I donated it was going very, very slowly and I could feel the needle in my arm every time I squeezed the ball or whatever they have you hold and squeeze. Finally the technician got enough and I sat up only to find I’d been leaking and had a puddle of blood under me that ended up dripping on the floor.

Another time they missed the vein and my arm swelled up like a golf ball of blood under the skin. That was fun.

Another time I had the spot where they jabbed me and moved the needle around to find the vein open up after I got home. Have a pic of that one.

WARNING: PICTURE CONTAINS BLOOD

I haven’t donated in a while. I’m still traumatized from horrible techs. I know I should though.

3. I’ve had nothing but awesome & pleasant professional volunteers when I’ve gone. A few even volunteer on their days off from being FF/EMTs. I’ve never had a scary experience, and I’m a guy who has to be sedated for a haircut.

4. My step father gave blood as long as I remember and probably until a couple of years before he died. I think he donated a total of 20 gallons and had a coffee cup that celebrated that milestone.

My step brother (my step dad’s son) once gave blood then he and I immediately played racquetball. With my athletic prowess, he was able to beat me pretty easily.

I probably take too many medications to allow my blood to be donated to anyone but someone on death row.

5. Regular here (4x/year). These nurses know where and how to draw blood better than anyone else because it’s what they basically do all day – I’d rather have them than a doctor drawing blood for some lab test. No bruises, no mistakes, thorough intake…
    Although, once, in pre-internet days, I was given the opportunity to give a fifth donation right after a fourth, because of a student festival at the university I studied: free entrance when you donate. The next day I went playing a volleyball match, and became rather dizzy.
    Ah, student life….

6. I used to donate regularly with United Blood Services when I lived out west (Nevada and New Mexico) – but when I came back to Georgia and started donating at the red cross the experience became pretty bad; unskilled plebotomists; longer wait times etc. – It was somewhat better if you went to the mobile units (when you could find one) but in the actual donation center office the service was so bad that I stopped donating.

7. OMG I’m from Canton and I used to live 2 blocks away from Aultman Hospital…where did you donate? Aultman used to be a ‘teaching’ hospital; I’m sure your donation was much appreciated!

8. Where did you donate? I’m from Canton; I used to live 2 blocks from Aultman Hospital. It used to be a ‘teaching’ hospital. I’m sure they were extremely grateful for your donation!

9. I donated regularly until getting stationed in Germany. RC was afraid of mad cow disease. After RC said I could again donate, I did so until I found that RC is helping illegals cross into the US. No more.

Leave a Comment or Reply...