Whamageddon is a game played during the 24 days before Christmas Eve in which players try to go from December 1 to the end of Christmas Eve as per European celebrations on the 24th December (11:59pm or 23:59 on the 24th of December) without hearing “Last Christmas” by Wham! If the player hears the song between those days, they are out of the game.
- The player must go as long as possible without hearing Wham!’s Christmas song, “Last Christmas”
- The game starts on the 1st of December and ends at “the end of December 24th” (i.e., 23:59 December 24).
- Only the original version of “Last Christmas” applies, the player can listen to remixes and covers of the song
- The player is out as soon as they recognize the original version of the song
- The player must post “#Whamageddon” on social media as soon as they lose the game
- Players can play on a “player vs player” if they wish, by sending links to the song to friends to try and get them out of the game, although it is not encouraged
- Playing “Last Christmas” outside another competitor’s house is considered dastardly and should be avoided.
- An acceptable alternative is to (previously) pair your mobile device with the players Alexa device (inside their home) and then WhamBomb! them from outside.
Once a player has lost they are sent to ‘Whamhalla’.
Usual places where players get knocked out tend to be cafes, shopping centres, drive-time radio, and Christmas work parties. When a player is unexpectedly knocked out, this is known as a ‘Whambush’.