Friday Firesmith Extra – Giving Thanks

On this day of giving of Thanks, I think we all should stop for a moment, and do exactly that. Of all human faults and vices, I consider ingratitude one of the worst, right up there with driving slow in the fast lane.

I want to thank all of my conservative friends, those who are philosophically opposite of myself, for making this 2020 election what it was. Whatever else can be said, more people went to the trouble of voting this election than ever before, and no matter who won, what this tells us is people are more active, and they care about something. These people have families, they’ve served in uniform during times of war, and they have dogs. They are good, solid people, and their opinion matters to me, even when we disagree, and I want to say thank you to them.

If who someone votes for is the single defining issue for you, I’m good with that, it’s you. But it is not me.

To those of you who agree with me, thank you for being there. It’s been a long road. But we have to reach out and make peace with the people we do not agree with, and we cannot afford to lose them.

To the people in rescue, thank you. Every pet deserves a home, and you are an awesome group of people.

To the frontline healthcare workers, thank you. In this time of Plague, no group of people have done more to save lives than you have.

To first responders, always, thank you.

To the men and women who are law enforcement, thank you, again, for suiting up each and every day for a hard job in a very hard time. We still believe in you. Thank you.

To the men and women in the uniform, away from home, perhaps in a combat zone, we love you, thank you.

To the people who work in jobs like restaurants, and bars, and who have to deal with the public in this time of plague, we see you, thank you, and I tip heavy and hard on take-out orders, no matter how small.

To the parents of children during this time of plague, you had the hardest job ever before the virus hit, I cannot imagine how you deal with raising kids now. Thank you for trying to mold young barbarians into fully functioning adults with no training manual or heavy drugs.

To the people who have helped me with Mom the last couple of years. Thank you ever so much. It’s been an adventure and it still is. For those of you who have an elderly parent living with you, hang in there. Don’t let it wear you down.

To the community of “Bits and Pieces” I want to say thank you. I’ve met some really great people here, and I hope to meet more as long as Jon allows me to stay. Thanks, Jon for keeping this place open, and the lights on.

What would you like to say “Thank you” for or to who?

Mike writes regularly at his site:  The Hickory Head Hermit.

Opinions expressed in this article are not necessarily those of the management of this site.

+20

10 thoughts on “Friday Firesmith Extra – Giving Thanks”

1. Something to be grateful about this pandemic is the adoption of so many rescue pets. In fact, the incoming President will be bringing the White House’s first rescue pet into it’s residence. I hope this is a sign (if not a metaphor) of even better things to come, as shelter pets seem to bring so much more into the equation.

2. My next door neighbors have a different belief system than I have, but seem to be really good people. We have always gotten along. She rescues animals, not only dogs(she has 5) she also has a tortoise, some chickens and I’m not even sure what else. I got really lucky when I moved 4 and a half years ago. My neighbors on both sides are great. Also they are all quiet. BONUS!

3. Mike,

I have thoroughly appreciated your writing, and I especially appreciate your support of rescue dogs. I had to have my almost 17 year old dog put down three years ago and missing this old dog really left a hole in my life. Three months ago I adopted a dog that had been living on the streets for 5 of the previous six months, and that “hole” has now been filled! Every dog I’ve ever had came from the dog pound, and I’ve had some great dogs. This dog is no exception! I think rescued dogs know they’ve been rescued. What they may not realize is that they, too, are doing a “rescue.”

4. I agree with you Mike. I lean to the right, but in my own way and only certain issues. I don’t follow the crowd and I don’t think you do either. I enjoy your writing. I don’t agree sometimes and that’s ok. I’m pretty sure that’s the way it’s supposed to be if we are all unique individuals. I wish everyone on all sides would remember that. I will always support the freedom of expression, which means I support hearing things I don’t like and I support being offended, because I know, however strange it may seem, my expression could be offensive to someone else and I hope none of us loose that freedom to be ourselves. Keep writing whatever you feel like. Cheers

5. My humorous side would say I’m thankful that the company paycheck still cashes and the ID lets me in the building.

On a serious note, a big thank you to my parents for what they did for me. A thank you to my children for what they have taught me. A thank you to my spouse who loves me, still, after 34 years of marriage.

Finally a thank you to all the people who have crossed my life. I will never know all their names and I may never see them again, yet they were the ones that made the biggest impression on my life. It may have been a simple greeting on the street to a tender conversation about losing a loved one. It could have been a shoulder that I needed or one they needed. It didn’t matter. The fact that someone was there when it was needed

Everyone we meet, no matter how we meet, changes ones world if only a tiny bit. We may not recognize right away and it may takes years before we realize it, yet ones world has changed.

Those have touched my life more than anyone will ever know and I hope I was able to do the same in a good way.

Specifically to Mike, you have opened my eyes to a world that I will never know yet gave me something to think about. Words enough cannot explain my gratitude and a simple thank you just doesn’t feel appropriate. Yet it is the simplist way – so Thank You

6. At this point I think that unity is next to impossible.
    On my side of the equation, likely shared by at least 70 million people, is that your side is misinformed, misled or not privy to news and information that our side was.
    None of those things make you a bad person and at any time that any one of you switched sides, you’d be welcomed with open arms. You likely share all of the qualities that make one a good honest, intelligent person the same as we believe we are.
    Your side though believes that we’re all unredeemable, ignorant, bigoted, right wing Nazi extremists, deplorable and incapable of any intelligent thought.
    As some have put it, “we should be afraid when trump’s not around”. There should be a ““system of accountability” for anyone who served under Trump’s administration. Maybe we should have a “Trump Accountability Project” so that we can keep track of all those who supported him?
    I could go on but I’m sure you get the point and you’re quite welcome to cherry-pick bits and pieces of what I wrote above but the bottom line for myself and millions upon millions of others….
    your side is cordially welcome to stick unity, as dictated by your side, someplace where the sun doesn’t shine.

7. At this point I think that unity is next to impossible.

You got that right. After 4 years of bile, bullshit, threats, hate for much of all Americans, daily spewing of lies, hate for our country, sedition and treasonous behavior, there’s a lot of contempt for the death cult and their leader who is so enamored in the killing of people that he is presently pursuing an 11th-hour push to allow executions by poison gas, firing squads, or the electric chair if that’s what’s needed to clear any obstacles to the current mode of lethal injection. No lame duck president has done this in over 100 years, but he literally enjoys people dying, which is most likely why he did so little to stop the virus, even stopping of the mailing of masks across America. (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/17/white-house-abandoned-plan-to-deliver-650-million-face-masks-across-us-report-says.html)

It’s important to note that it is a cult. When considering a cult is just another form of religion and religion is just a belief system of non-provable “facts”, these people will be unable to be reasoned with until things hit home and hit so hard that all illusions of their cult’s beliefs no longer have any hold. How and when that happens is anybody’s guess, but when you have people who accept the idea that there are others who drink the blood of children or find an excuse to ignore every fact presented to them, it’s fair to assume they will die in total ignorance, as some are, due to the virus they insist doesn’t exist.

Sadly, what one likes to call news and information from their side is nothing but lies and propaganda not unlike the Soviet Pravda. They could present five things they believe to be true based on what their sources tell them and none would hold up to reality. That’s the real problem– how they deny reality, making it impossible to even have an honest discussion with them.

When a cult condones people to kidnap and execute elected officials (or at least make the plans) because their leader has inferred them to do so, it makes them bad people, if not just for lacking the common sense to know better. And the very idea of associating with a cult/terrorist organization is not something an honest independent thinking person would want to be a part of. Because in simplest terms, you have a group of people who wants what’s best for all the people of this country and the other group who simply operate on screwing the country, screw the Constitution and even screw themselves as long as they can “own the libs”. That’s not what our Founders had in mind when they created our government.

Understand, being a Republican means little in the way of policy but is rather nothing more than a party defined by intense hostility toward perceived threats that they invariably attribute to the left. There is no longer the concept of conservative ideas but rather a party built on encouraging their followers to be bitter, hateful and paranoid.

“But that’s not true,” a conservative may say, “they mean lower taxes and less government.” If by lower taxes you mean for the very wealthy, then yes. Taxes are scheduled to go up for those making less than $70,000 in a few weeks. If by less government, you mean no Social Security, no Medicare, no unemployment, no decent wages, no 40 hour work weeks, no sick days, no safety on the job, no vacations or no workman’s comp, no protections of any kind for the common person, then yes, that’s what they are about.

But here’s the reality… Many Trump supporters will actually admit that they don’t agree with his rhetoric, but they enjoy his sadistic bullying because it makes them feel good. And that’s what it comes down to. Trump gives them freedom to be an asshole. Good people don’t want to be assholes.

One part of that equation is a cult that believes in only lies. Lies about everything, including themselves.

Now you’re talking about the other half of that equation that tends to believe things that present themselves as provable fact, so it’s less a belief and more the truth.

As some have put it, “we should be afraid when trump’s not around”.

Eventually he will die. Either from clogged arteries from all the crappy foods he eats, COVID complications (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8966555/One-three-elderly-Covid-19-patients-delirious-study-finds.html) or in prison. In the meantime, he’s taking as much money as he can from his cult followers with a barrage of emails under the guise they are helping him fight the election results. Unbeknownst to many, there’s a pre-checked box that allows him to take their money on a regular basis. Which is really gonna hurt since his great tax scam will raise their taxes in the next few weeks.

Absolutely. Criminals should be held accountable and this administration is loaded with them from top to bottom. We’ll have to wait and see for how many criminals he pardons before we can have an exact count. Just remember, you get pardons for a crime, not for a lack of crime.

Once their glorious cult leader is gone, they will start to crawl back under the rocks from whence they came. Just an aside, that borders on projection because that’s something trump would do because he’s so insecure he needs to exact revenge on anyone who rejects him as a means to placate his ego.

Why cherry-pick when there’s a bounty?

Likewise, except in the cult’s case, there would be some competition, because their heads are firmly planted in that orifice where the sun doesn’t shine.

So it’s safe to say that the previous statement of “welcome with open arms” only means if one is willing to sell their soul to the devil and drink the kool-aid.

• Wow, C.A.I. !!!!
      I knew that if you read my comment it would get your tighty-whiteys in a knot but I had no idea as to the depth of your ire.
      When I think of all the time and effort you spent creating that voluminous reply only to prove my point that “unity is next to impossible” better than I could have ever done really does give me a warm fuzzy inside.
      Honestly. You just made my day.
      Much appreciated.

• Just remember the old adage “The quickest way to look like a fool is to argue with one.” CAI always takes the bait and starts ranting about anything under the Sun…

• You’re a bit clueless, as it wasn’t anything “under the sun” but rather a direct reply to each statement.

And his response proved my point.