- About 1 in 8 U.S. women (just under 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women. Just under 30% of cancers in women are breast cancers.
- In 2011, there were more than 2.6 million breast cancer survivors in the US.
- About 85% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer.
- About 2,190 new cases of invasive breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in men in 2012. 410 of those men will die because of it. A man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer in men is about 1 in 1,000.
- In 2012 an estimated 39,510 people will die from breast cancer
Stats via Image via Tim J