5 thoughts on “So that’s what you call the place”

  1. Greetings from Britain (one title not included above).

    I’m not sure about the second one – I’ve never heard anyone refer to this country as The British Islands.

    The United Kingdom is more properly known as The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

    England and Wales together are Britain ; in 1707, when Scotland was added, the whole country became Greater Britain (since shortened to Great Britain). At this point Scotland was renamed Northern Britain and England and Wales became Southern Britain – this change never caught on.

    In George Orwell’s novel ‘1984’ he called us ‘Airstrip One’ which was very prescient of him.

  2. I’ve heard “British Isles” before.. I’m a transplanted Scot. It MAY be a North American term. 🙂

    What I love is when Americans argue with me about what’s called what. Hello?? The nuns drilled this into my head at an early age.. you’d think my knowledge would be more relevant!

Comments are closed.